About Me

My photo
The Lord never ceases to amaze and bless me (and my family). Though there have been many unexpected, seemingly overwhelming events in my life, God always provides a way, meeting and exceeding any need I may have. I long to know God more each day, to become the Godly woman, wife, and mother he so passionately desires me to be. This requires extensive training from God. For this reason, I am a perpetual student of the Lord. He is constantly molding and training me as His child; a wife, friend, coworker, daughter, sister, and mother; to be more like Him. In a similar way, along with my amazing husband, I hope to be a Godly example for our children and raise them in such a way that sparks an urgent desire for them to know and long for a personal relationship with the Lord our God.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

35 Weeks and counting

35 weeks! - at this point I think I'm actually counting hours, minutes, and seconds...

Life Update:
So, Keith and I made a couple practice runs to the hospital over the weekend. My blood pressure was up and I had blurry vision and headaches. We went Saturday... stayed for a few hours until I was stable and came back home. We went back on Sunday.... found a small amount of protein in my urine (showing that I was beginning to develop toxemia) and had to spend the night being monitored. We got to come back home on Monday with the orders of STRICT bedrest...

FYI... the new women's center is like staying in a hotel (with the exception of the beds)!! It is SO fancy!!
 
Doctor’s Report:
So apparently I now have protein in my urine (indicating my level of toxemia) that seems to be gradually rising. I am on strict bedrest with a home monitoring system that takes my vitals, asks questions, and transmits everything to a nurse 24/7. I have a nurse that is assigned to me until this baby is born, her name is Eileen. I originally thought she would have to be here with me, but lucky for her, she and I have a phone relationship (unless something goes really wrong). Twice each day I have to count Brayden's movements... good thing he's a kicker, and I also have to test my protein levels. If anything seems unusual, I am immediately contacted by my nurse.


As long as I am laying flat, my blood pressure (for the most part) is maintaining. If that continues, and my toxemia remains below a "critical level", I will be able to continue bedrest at home.


We are taking things one day at a time. The longer Brayden can safely stay in me, the better his chances of staying OUT of the NICU. Anyone who has had a NICU baby can attest to the fact that you don't want to go through that stress again!! (Don't get me wrong, the NICU staff/doctors at Brookwood were absolutely AMAZING with Landen (and us), but it's a really tough thing to have to go through).


Brayden is still measuring big. I am having contractions (and have been) every 2-7 minutes. Most of them are not too uncomfortable, but there have been a few that flat take your breath away!


Assuming everything continues smoothly, my next appointment is Tuesday, 2/21. I will have another NST (non stress test - done weekly for me) to measure contractions, blood pressure, fetal movement, fetal heart rate, etc. I will also have another ultrasound (done every 4 weeks for me) to measure Brayden's development, size, amniotic fluid levels, and my cervix. Then I will have my OB appointment, at which point I have a feeling we will be scheduling an induction/c-section.
Pregnancy Update:
  1. How far along? 35 weeks  2 day
  2. Total Weight Gain? 15 lbs
  3. Fundal Height? 37.5 cm
  4. Baby Heart Rate? 150s bpm
  5. Baby Bump?  I think the term “bump” no longer does it justice…. Mount Everest is more fitting.
  6. Movement? Of course! The little (or big) wiggle worm is super confined, but he still manages to kick, punch, and bump all the time!
  7. Cravings? Milkshakes, milk, juice, water... I've been thirsty
  8. Aversions? Mostly just meats (not all the time though) and onions and FISH!
  9. Symptoms? Strong Contractions, Moody, Pains (back, sciatic, leg, hip, neck, etc), Cramps (stomach, back, and into my thighs), Hands and feet swelling (though it's MUCH less with me being on bedrest), Legs falling asleep, Headaches, TIRED, Forgetfulness,  Blurry Vision, Heartburn/Acid Reflux, and a few very unpleasant unmentionables
  10. Sleep? Yeah, right.
  11. Gender? Boy! Brayden Daniel Thomas
  12. Belly button? In, but VERY shallow
  13. What I miss? Being comfortable and being able to do stuff!
  14. What I’m looking forward to? Getting out of the bed. Meeting Brayden.
  15. Concerns? Toxemia/blood pressure affecting Brayden's health and my own. Landen not understanding why mommy is in the bed ALL THE TIME. Landen's reaction to having a baby brother. Finances with me unable to work. The load that Keith has to carry between taking care of me (the vegetable), Landen (the inquisitive energizer bunny), PT school, and everything in between!
  16. Blessings? Keith, Landen, our family, and our friends! That I’ve made it this far into the pregnancy, and Brayden is still appearing to be healthy! My awesome coworkers that donated 80 hours of vacation time to me to help with the fact that I have an unpaid maternity leave! Gus, our cat, who tirelessly keeps me company 24/7. Landen learning to say, "Love you momma" - it puts such a bright spot on my entire day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that's some amazing service they're offering!! How awesome to have your own nurse.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!