About Me

My photo
The Lord never ceases to amaze and bless me (and my family). Though there have been many unexpected, seemingly overwhelming events in my life, God always provides a way, meeting and exceeding any need I may have. I long to know God more each day, to become the Godly woman, wife, and mother he so passionately desires me to be. This requires extensive training from God. For this reason, I am a perpetual student of the Lord. He is constantly molding and training me as His child; a wife, friend, coworker, daughter, sister, and mother; to be more like Him. In a similar way, along with my amazing husband, I hope to be a Godly example for our children and raise them in such a way that sparks an urgent desire for them to know and long for a personal relationship with the Lord our God.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Pregnancy Surprises

Well, so far (excluding the 1st Trimester) this has been a rather non-eventful, normal, healthy pregnancy... or so I thought.

Things changed this week. Actually, things probably changed a while ago and we just didn't know it yet...

I went to my OB/GYN on Monday to take my Glucose test. I didn't pass it. so I had to go back Wednesday to do the 3hr Glucose Tolerance Test, which I didn't pass failed miserably.

Here’s the report I was given:

I have gestational diabetes. As a result, Declen is measuring extremely large. After doing some tests, the doctors are concerned about the blood flow and the oxygen levels in his brain. They told me that they're going to try to do everything they can to keep Declen out of the NICU, but there's a good chance he'll be a NICU baby.


I now have a list of health care providers: My OB, a High Risk OB, a High Risk Nurse Practioner, and a Nutritionist. I’ll have to go in to see the High Risk doctor weekly. They'll be doing weekly advanced ultrasounds/doppler to measure Declen's size, blood flow, oxygen levels, & fluids. I have to track my blood sugar throughout the day each day and then on Tuesday I'll meet with the nutritionist to see what kind of diet I need to be on based on how I am responding to foods, as well as what medicines I need to take. 

In addition to this, I have been experiencing some bleeding this again week and we aren’t yet sure of the cause. At some point (based on the Ultrasounds/Doppler results) I will start doing non-stress tests at the hospital 1-3 times a week. 

General Pregnancy Update: Week 29


  1. How far? 28 weeks, 3 days 
  2. Bump? Of course!
  3. Weight Gain? I've gained 2 pounds (so I'm at -1 pound from my pre-pregnancy weight)
  4. Belly Button? Shallow, but IN (unless Declen kicks me - then it pops out momentarily. It's a bit weird)
  5. Blood Pressure? 126/76
  6. Fundal Height? 30
  7. Fetal size approximation? 32 to 33 weeks
  8. Maternity Clothes? Definitely
  9. Fetal Heart Rate? 141 bpm
  10. Movement? This kid has a TON of energy!
  11. Cravings? Not much of anything... just thirsty
  12. Aversions? Strong smelling stuff, green grapes, red beans, sausage, onions, FISH
  13. Symptoms? Some swelling of my fingers and feet by the end of the day, Headaches, Exhaustion, Moody, Emotional, Back Pain
  14. Sleep? Not too bad, once I get comfortable
  15. Gender? Definitely a BOY!
  16. Name? Declen Miles
  17. Best Moment? Watching sweet Declen suck his thumb on the Ultrasound


In OTHER News:

Our kids have continued their fascination with the toilet. As a result, we had to replace a toilet this week. The culprit - makeup brushes. The guilty party - still a mystery.

We adopted a new friend - Tilly



We now have bunk beds for the boys to grow into!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!