If we put trash in the can before the pickup day, some critter(s) will climb in and enjoy the contents of our trash...
Keith saw a couple rats at one point in the can, but not in a while... I just figured he was somewhat exaggerating about the size of a couple mice...
I think, to some degree, we were in denial that they existed anywhere around where WE live. I mean, we live in a nice suburb where lots of children and house pets reside. Rats only live out in the country or in the sewage systems/subways of big cities, not HERE... right?
Over the weekend, my dad saw a couple rats... not just rats, BIG RATS on our porch... OUR PORCH! The same porch that Landen plays on, nearly everyday! EEEEEK!!
This is NOT ok!
So Keith went to the store and bought rat poison... I know... it's mean... it's not humane... but it's RATS! and it's not like I would catch them and set them free or anything... They carry diseases and could possibly get in our house... and THAT is NOT going to happen!!
Last night, he put trays of poison out on our porch and under the stairs to our deck (which are enclosed with chickenwire... I don't know why someone did that, but it is what it is), as well as in the trash-less, holey trashcan ...
By this morning, the tray under the stairs was COMPLETELY EMPTY and the tray on our porch was HALF EMPTY! That means they took the bait... and were either very hungry or there were several of them eating...
I am TOTALLY. freaked. out! The fact that they ate it just confirms that they are there... something that I STILL have trouble believing... and now I am worried about having to pickup dead rats... UGH!
I never thought I'd say this, but why can we just have squirrels... or SOMETHING that is not a nasty as RATS!?
FYI: I did buy a new trashcan that has no holes
Perhaps the Squirrels in your neighborhood just got a shave and your Dad just happened to THINK they were rats?
ReplyDeleteWe lived in a townhouse during our Satan the Squirrel years, too. Perhaps you live in our old townhouse and Chris' warfare against the squirrels made their offspring malformed and hairless??
Haha! That could be a possibility!
Delete