About Me

My photo
The Lord never ceases to amaze and bless me (and my family). Though there have been many unexpected, seemingly overwhelming events in my life, God always provides a way, meeting and exceeding any need I may have. I long to know God more each day, to become the Godly woman, wife, and mother he so passionately desires me to be. This requires extensive training from God. For this reason, I am a perpetual student of the Lord. He is constantly molding and training me as His child; a wife, friend, coworker, daughter, sister, and mother; to be more like Him. In a similar way, along with my amazing husband, I hope to be a Godly example for our children and raise them in such a way that sparks an urgent desire for them to know and long for a personal relationship with the Lord our God.

Monday, August 8, 2011

recalling our blessings

After Keith and I got married in July of 2009, we were preparing for my fall internship and graduation, as well as Keith's first semester of Physical Therapy School in the spring. Other than the freak ovarian cyst rupturing the day after we got home from our honeymoon, life seemed to be going pretty smoothly as we adjusted to married life. I began my student teaching and Keith was working/taking a physics class at UAB. Then things began to happen (let's make a list). 


Happenings:
Blessings:
1. The Swine flu hit the state of Alabama with a vengence - we both got sick.
First time sick together taught us how to sacrifice when we didn't feel like it.
2. I began getting EXTREMELY tired - to the point of going to the doctor to get checked for Mono
Unrecognized Preggo symptom #1
3. Whatever it was we started putting in our trashcans was unbelievably foul and strong smelling
 Unrecognized Preggo symptom #2
4. Suddenly, I began having SEVERE pain in my lower back - I had a UTI and Kidney Stones
  1. Keith had a final that morning, so dad had to take me to the doctor
  2. I went to the doctor for some medicine and found out I was pregnant
  3. Doc sent me to the emergency room, who determined I was 8 weeks pregnant and sent me home, only to be hospitalized the next day
We found out BEFORE taking any medicine that would have adversely affected the pregnancy.

I had be told that I may never be able to have children because of endometriosis.

The UAB Physical Therapy School allowed Keith to postpone his start date for 1 year and helped find him a PT job to work while he took care of me!

Keith now has a job waiting for him once he graduates from PT school.

By having this job, I was able to stay home with Landen until he was 6 months old.
5. We found out our insurance required a 1 year waiting period to become a "Family Plan" that covered maternity costs
Ran into a nurse who had an unexpected pregnancy herself, and was able to get us information about how to get Medicaid and WIC to support the pregnancy

Medicaid would cover ALL maternity expenses, ALL of Landen's NICU expenses, and ALL of Landen's medical expenses for the 1st year of him life!
6. I began getting REALLY bad morning (and afternoon and evening) sickness - I still refuse to go near Krystals or V8 Juice! 
Keith was extremely helpful, patient, and supporting. 
7. After applying and/or interviewing at what seemed like 80% of the schools in the state of Alabama, I learned that no one really wanted to hire a pregnant woman.
I was able to get a temporary position at Alabama Power, where I got to know all the people I now work with.

I did not have to worry about lesson plans, time off, etc. when I was put on bedrest

8. I was diagnosed with Pre-eclampsia and put on bedrest, which further led to financial strain
Keith took on extra jobs, working 7 days/week, and did all the work around the apartment.

We realized just what an ABSOLUTELY amazing, Godly, supportive Sunday School Class we are blessed with!!
9. Landen was born premature and quit breathing after being born 
There were only 2 other babies in the NICU the weekend Landen was born, so he had all the attention he needed to support him during his early days. 
10. I was hired as a loan processor, but after 4 months, Wells Fargo needed to downsize and I lost my job. 
The day after finding out I was losing my job at WF, I spoke with the temp agency (Spherion) that got me the position at APCo while I was pregnant. It turned out that the day before, APCo contacted Spherion looking for someone to fill the same position, and they specifically asked for me!

I was eventually hired as a permanent Alabama Power Employee. 
11. With me getting a job at WF and then with APCo, and Keith not having a job as a PT student, we needed child care for Landen, but didn't have the funds to pay for it
Mom retired from teaching and offered to keep Landen while I was at work!


12. Keith's jeep, something that was TOTALLY unsafe for Landen (or anyone for that matter) to ride in was getting worse and the carseat would barely fit in the 2 door accord I drove
Keith's dad found us an 1995 accord wagon IN GREAT CONDITION, that we were able to TRADE for the jeep (I honestly thought we would have to pay someone to take the jeep off our hands) and we paid the difference with cash!
13. Keith wrecked the wagon
We were able to sell the wagon remains, borrow a 2001 Kia from Keith's dad, and use the wagon money to repair the Kia's breaks

We now have a safe 4 door vehicle for our family again! 
12. My very first week as an Alabama Power Employee, I find out I'm 7 weeks pregnant! AGAIN! And my hormone levels are too low to support the pregnancy.
 
By finding out about the pregnancy (and hormone levels) as soon as we did, I was able to immediately begin hormone suppliments
13. With my progesterone levels being too low, I have to get lab work done weekly (not good news during 1st week of work)
I spoke with my nurse and I am able to get my lab work done AFTER I get off work!!

Now, don't get me wrong, this is NOT a complete list of EITHER. We have been blessed in so many ways that I cannot even begin to make a complete list! Looking back, it is very apparent how God has had the provisions, LONG before there was even a need! I find that when a circumstance starts to seem overwhelming, if I look back and consider how God has pulled us through in the past, it is nothing more than FOOLISH for me to question any part of God's plan. God is Good, All the time!

We announced to our Sunday School class yesterday about this surprise baby. It was nice to have their excitement and their prayers as we go through this unknown time.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing story and testimony to the Lord's faithfulness to us in all circumstances! I'm excited to read about your journey! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is quite a list! Isn't it amazing how God provides exactly what we need when we need it? Thanks for the beautiful reminder of His overflowing grace in every situation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!